Since May 2013, we have helped lead the effort to provide children across Ontario with the right to play sports and participate in physical activity. Our focus is on promoting good health and physical activity among children in Ontario and mitigating the impact of poverty on young participants.
The mission of the Foundation is to promote good health and physical activity among children and youth, in Ontario, and to mitigate the impact of poverty on prospective young participants. These objects will be achieved by alleviating the prohibitive financial barriers to participation in sports and physical activity for those children in poverty and underprivileged youth who may otherwise be unable to afford participation in such activities. The Foundation provides publicly-available monetary grants based on financial need and without regard to physical ability or natural aptitude for sports generally. These grants cover the costs associated with children and youth playing various sports and participating in physical activity generally.
OUR Inspiration: Trevor Barton
May 12, 2016 marked the four-year anniversary of the unfortunate passing of Trevor Barton, a 20-year-old Londoner whose life was tragically taken in a train accident. Trevor was an outstanding person and a spectacular athlete, who excelled at baseball, basketball, and football. To support Trevor’s everlasting legacy, his friends and family have organized annual Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournaments and have created the Trevor Barton Memorial Foundation, which has obtained CRA approval to become a registered charity in Canada focused on alleviating poverty for underprivileged youth athletes.
Trevor Barton will never be forgotten, and his impact on this world is only in its infancy.
- 12-May-2012 – Trevor Barton tragically passed away, marking the end of the life of a tremendous person and great athlete
- 12-May-2013 – Inaugural Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournament
- 04-May-2014 – Second Annual Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournament
- 01-Dec-2014 – Filed Canadian charity application with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)
- 01-Apr-2015 – Website launched to the public
- 18-Jul-2015 – Third Annual Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournament
- 18-Jun-2016 – Fourth Annual Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournament
- 26-Nov-2016 – The Trevor Barton Foundation Received Charitable Status from the CRA
- 03-Jun-2017 – Fifth Annual Trevor Barton Memorial Softball Tournament
- 26-Aug-2017 – Inaugural Annual Trevor Barton Memorial Beach Volleyball Tournament